Saturday, June 28, 2008

Ahhhh!

It's so hard to force myself to write! There are so many other things that I need to take care of - like cleaning and stuff. And then I start thinking 'well if I do all of the housework now, then I'll have lots of writing time later!' but then other things need my attention and, somehow, the apartment gets messy again! Oh no! What to do, what to do?

On the writing conference-grown community, they mention a thing called 'butt glue' to keep you in place to write. Of course, my computer offers so much more than just a word processor. There are tons of people to talk to, tons of things to do (I mean, I work at a computer for my *job*), and read about... I'm already glued to my chair most of the time, but why am I not writing? ;)

I will have to make a specific time, I guess... like how I have to take my meds at certain times. I should have to write at certain times. Right? Something like that.

1 comment:

Rebecca J. Carlson said...

I started making a lot more progress as a writer back in April when I set aside two specific hours a day. Before that I had some very bad habits - like trying to write while I was cooking (kept the fire alarm busy) or when I should have been sleeping. Even though two hours did not sound like enough time (I really want four) it was better than grabbing minutes out of a packed day, then binge writing whenever I got a chance.

Now every morning at 10am I sit down to write for an hour, then pick up my kid from kindergarten, feed him lunch, help him with homework and piano practice, then sit down at 1pm and write for another hour, maybe two if I'm on a roll. Then I go get the rest of the crew from school and the balance of the day is wiped out with mom stuff.